Tuesday, February 15, 2011

What's In A Name?


A fellow who goes by the name @VeloDoc posted this on Twitter:
"We're not bikers! Bikers ride Harley's. We are cyclists!!"
I understand for many people that the term "Biker" may conjure an image of Marlon Brando in The Wild One, I for one, am unwilling to grant exclusive use of the term "biker" to those whose two-wheeled machines are motorized. While I know that in a world where we drive on parkways and park on driveways that this may be a losing battle, it is a battle I have fought for years and will continue to fight as long as I have the strength to speak, type or turn a pedal. I have been, and always shall be, a biker.

The machine I ride, I call a bike. I go on bike rides. I work in a bike shop. I sometimes ride with a bike club. In the woods I go mountain biking.

I don't grab my cycle and go cycling. I don't belong to a cycle club. Maybe you do and if so, great. I'm sure that works fine for you. But don't tell me I have to go cycling.

I'm grabbing my bike and going biking.

Because I'm a biker.

Keep 'em rolling,

Kent "Mountain Turtle" Peterson
Issaquah WA USA


No comments:

Post a Comment