Monday, February 28, 2011

Smart meter correction

I had thought that we were using a smart meter with the PG&E E9 rates, but I was wrong.  I just learned that the E9 meter, which runs backwards with solar panels, is not a smart meter.  PG&E has to come out to read it every month, which is why they tack on a meter charge for its use.  In fact this is the case for all Time of Use meters.  This also means that I can't check my daily use on line the way I could with a smart meter, so I need to check the meter to see how much we are using.  I will do so and report back, so stay tuned.

By the way, this makes it occur to me that anyone who doesn't like their smart meter could switch to a time of use meter.  That's assuming that the TOU meter doesn't put out the electromagnetic radiation that some people are sensitive to.

No comments:

Post a Comment