Sunday, September 23, 2012

National Plug In Day in Alameda

I had fun today in Alameda at the South Shore Shopping Center at the East Bay's National Plug In Day Event.  I talked to a lot of people and learned a lot, and hopefully passed on some of what I've learned.  I estimate that about 125 people attended the event plus about 25 - 30 people who brought electric vehicles to display.
Photo from today's event.  I hope to post more from other participants.
 
I counted two Volts (including ours), tow or three new plug-in Prius's, three Leafs, a Think, a new RAV 4, an old RAV 4, a Kewet, a Sparrow, several Yike Bikes, several electric motorcycles, at least four electric conversions, and a Tesla roadster.  I probably missed some cars since I was busy talking to people and offering test rides/drives.
 
Some thoughts from various conversations:
  • Most people don't understand that the Volt is an Extended Range Electric Vehicle that always runs on the electric motor--powered by the batteries for the first 35-40 miles, and then by the generator
  • The challenge for most people is up-front financing.  I need to learn more about the way that lease options work since that is the way most people are buying these cars.
  • Most people do not know about PG&E's E9 electric rates for charging EVs (e.g. see my previous post dated May 22, 2012)  PG&E should be required to promote these rates.
  • The tax subsidies for purchase of EVs and for installing charging equipment are very important at this early stage of EV adoption.
All in all I was very happy to see more EV models out this year than I saw last year at Krissy Field in San Francisco.  I enjoyed the day, and hope National Plug In Day continues to build in the future.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment