Friday, March 11, 2011

Two more lessons

Monday of this week I parked the car at San Francisco's Sutter Stockton garage and plugged it in, but this time I used an extension cord so there would be no stress on the charger cord.  Unfortunately, when I got home, the charger would not work--no green light, no confirming horn toot, just a yellow light flashing--Ouch!

I took the car to the dealer, but they said their diagnostic computer was down, so they couldn't do anything then, and I drove home.  However, then the charger started working again!  Very puzzling.

Wednesday the dealer called to say that their diagnostic equipment was now working so I could bring it in.  I explained that it was working, but there was an engine warning light on the dashboard.  They asked me to bring it in to see what was up with that.

The result is that there were two diagnostic messages.  One had to do with a poor connection and the second had to do with a weak voltage supply.  Here are the lessons:

1.  Since I leave the car outside and the charger is also outside, I have decided to put the plug in device in a plastic bag when not being used to charge the car.  That will make sure no dust or dirt gets into the unit.

2.  When I go someplace to plug in the car, I need to make sure the circuit is good.  I don't know how to do that at a public garage or even at a friends house, but will try to learn.  The Service Department did say to be sure to use a heavy-duty extension cord, and not too long, if you do need to use one.  Better to avoid an extension cord altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment