Monday, June 28, 2010

This is not a staged photo

I took this picture on Father's Day. My bike is laying, perfectly balanced, inverted on the road on the far side of the barbed wire barrier it just flew over. As Christine relayed in her excellent report, The Mountain Turtle is Airborne!, the bike and I hit this barrier at speed. I landed about 6 feet further down the road than the bike did. The flight was quick, the landing was a bumpy miracle.

I didn't quite "stick the landing" as they say in gymnastics but I did OK. I was in good enough shape to dust myself off, walk back to the other side of the fence and take this photo.

My right hand did wind up swelling like a boxing glove from where I punched the ground and with more than a week's hindsight I now am pretty sure that I dislocated or broke my little finger and cracked a rib. Since the finger isn't one I needed to work the brakes on my bike and the rib only hurt when I coughed, sneezed or moved in the wrong way, I count myself as very, very lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment